What can I eat during the detox phase if I’m allergic to eggs?
The detox phase is very restrictive. The main goal is to eat as clean as possible. This makes eggs a no-brainer since they are a very clean source of protein. But if you can’t eat eggs, it’s ok to substitute small amounts of organic (preferably pasture raised chicken) and wild caught Alaskan salmon. Keep it to one serving a day though. Also, eat almond butter (but not peanut, since it has more mold), rinsed and soaked lentils (small amounts are ok, but these are technically a carb), avocados and lots of healthy fats, like coconut oil, ghee, and EVOO – these can be pureed with veggies to make creamy soups which can be very filling. Seeds are another great option – like sunflower, pumpkin, ground flax, hemp hearts and chia seeds.
Can I still take my regular supplements?
Yes, but check for sneaky fillers that can feed Candida. These include sugars (sometimes included in gummies or chewies) like dextrose, glucose, sucrose, fructose or what is labeled as Maltodextrin and is actually a barley malt derived sweetener than Candida loves.
Cellulase is another filler to avoid if possible, since it helps create sugar in your body. Cellulase is actually an enzyme group which is used to process cellulose and break it down into a form of sugar. Importantly, it is this sugar (betaglucose) which increases your blood sugar levels, which can in turn feed any Candida colonies present in your gut. Cellulase is found in many health supplements and especially digestive supplements.
What are good snack options?
- Seeds like pumpkin (pumpkin in particular has anti-fungal properties)
- some nuts (peanuts and pistachios are too moldy)
- tablespoon or 2 of almond nut butter
- avocado (you can “stuff” the hole made by the pit with things – I personally love plain EVOO with salt and pepper, but you can do a little hummus + hemp hearts, or baba ganoush or curry flavored egg salad)
- creamy veggie broth
- almond nut butter on celery
- chia seed pudding made with unsweetened almond milk and spices – cinnamon and ginger can give a sort of sweet taste
- hummus (go easy on this one and make sure the only oil in it is EVOO, not canola, etc)
- celery sticks
- raw broccoli/cauliflower
- cucumber slices with salt/pepper
I’m feeling shaky and low energy – what’s going on?
Those are classic detox symptoms. Sometimes as your body releases toxins, and adjusts to a cleaner diet, this can occur. Cut back or omit your detox supplement for a few days and increase water intake. Also, it can be very easy to not have enough energy on this high fiber veg diet, so make sure you’re getting adequate proteins and fats – eggs, coconut oil, EVOO, seeds, nuts. If you can’t do eggs, it’s ok to add in a little organic chicken or wild caught salmon. If the symptoms don’t go away in a week or less, stop the Candida Cleanse and consult your doc.